IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol.
The following instructions are for Outlook 2003 but should translate well to other versions of Outlook. If you are setting up your phone or tablet, follow the parameters given below but ignore the screen shots.
- In Outlook, select E-Mail Accounts under the Tools menu.
- Select Add a new e-mail account and then click Next.
- Select IMAP and then click Next.
- Enter Your information on the form.
Incoming and Outgoing mail server (POP & SMTP): Ex. mail.yourdomainname.com
User Name: Your complete email address
Check - Remember Password
Do Not Check - Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
- Click More Settings... (some email clients may call this Advanced)
- Click on the Outgoing Server tab.
Select My outgoing server (SMTP) requires Authentication
Select Use same settings as my incoming mail server
- Click on the Advanced tab.
Incoming server (IMAP): 143
Outgoing server (SMTP): 587
Do not select This server requires encrypted connection.
- Click on OK
- Then click on the Next Button.
- If everything is set up correctly, you should see the screen below.
- Click on the Finish button. To test, send yourself an email and see if you get it back.